to make a Treasure Chest Pinata
a pinata from boxes and wrapped in paper with a treasure trove of
goodies inside. |
This is a perfect
The search for treasure is over...you just need to beat it out of the pinata!
- princess pinata,
- pirate pinata, or a
- treasue chest pinata to hold a dragon's treasure.
- Gather your materials: box, clear tape,
masking tape, 1 or 2 pieces
posterboard, pencil, scissors, brown electrical tape, and white
papers for printing.
- Print several sheets of these wooden
planks. Cut out.
- Print one copy of the key
hole. Cut out.
- Set the box on the posterboard and draw a
line matching the width of the box. Cut along the line.
- Poke a hole in each side of the pinata
and thread rope or heavy string for hanging the pinata through the
- If making a pull and yank pinata, make
the trap door now. Cut a trap door in the bottom of the
Poke a hole through the trap door and tie a ribbon through
it that will be able to pull it open. Seal the trap
to be sure there’s enough tape to hold all the prizes in the
but not so much tape that it won’t open.
- Fill the pinata with candy and toys and
tape to secure
the box closed.
- Use a cake box for a whack and bash
sturdy cardboard box for a pull and yank pinata.
using a cake box or other thin box for your treasure chest pinata,
reinforce the holes for the rope with some duct tape or masking tape.
- Use string or ribbon or even bias tape
hangar. Avoid using yarn or elastic. If using a thin string like kite
you will want to double each string.
- You will usually only need two or four
small pieces of masking tape to hold the trap door closed.
- Use masking tape to attach the cut strip
of posterboard to the box.
Tape to one side of the box and arch over the top of the box and attach
to the other side.
the treasure chest pinata on its side on the scrap piece of
or a separate piece of posterboard if the scrap is not large enough.
Trace the side on posterboard, cut out and tape it to the side of the
- Cover the box with cut outs of wooden
planks. Use clear tape.
- Add brown or black electrical tape along
- Add keyhole.
- If you're making a whack and bash pinata keep
additions to the top of the pinata. Too many layers will make
difficult to open.
- Attach the false sides of the pinata (the
cutouts you made from posterboard) above the rope or string or
the wooden plank papers around the rope on the sides is tricky. Attach
one side of the paper, then carefully cut from the other side (top,
bottom, whatever) toward the rope and make a small circular cut to go
around the rope. Then lay the paper down on the pinata and tape over
- Attach several ribbons around the edge
the bottom of
the pinata in coordinating colors of the pinata. Use small pieces of
masking tape so the ribbons will easily pull away from the pinata. (The
pinata pictured below is the present pinata.)
- Cover the bottom of the pinata with wooden
plank papers, cut to the correct size.
- Use curling ribbon or craft ribbon that
coordinate with the
colors of the pinata.
- The ribbon to open the trap door needs to be
the hinge so it can pull it open.
- If the ribbon attached to the trap door is not
at the edge
of the pinata, use small bits of scotch tape to hold it to the edge of
The false bottom will cover it up.
Now your Treasure Chest
is ready for your party.
here to learn how to play the pinata game.
to Make a Pinata from Treasure Chest Pinata